The Pros and Cons of Accutane - From Someone Who Used It

Accutane. This is often considered the 'last option' for severe acne sufferers. It is only supposed to be used for someone with extremely severe cystic (or nodular) acne. I know this because I used it years ago and have regretted the decision ever since.

Accutane (also known as Isotretinoin) is an oral retinoic acid, which is basically a cousin to Vitamin A. It's given in large doses to dry out the skin, thus stopping acne since acne thrives off of excess sebum. The problem is that overdosing vitamin A is not good for your body. It strains your liver (infact, to take Accutane you must get your liver and triglyceride levels checked every few weeks), can cause hair loss (it did with me), and SEVERELY dries out your skin including your lips.

The positives to Accutane, or should I say the one positive is that it DOES get rid of acne...temporarily. As soon as you stop the drug there is a chance for recurrence, and it happens quite often. My experience with Accutane is as follows:

About 8 years ago the cystic acne on my neck and back was so bad that my dermatologist prescribed Accutane. I reluctantly agreed and was put on a medium-strength dosage of the drug. Months later after having cracked and dry skin, my acne was gone. I thought this was a miracle drug. I stopped taking the drug as soon as I finished the dosages prescribed by my dermatologist and thought I was done with acne. Months later the acne returned WORSE than before and I was suffering from hair loss and dry lips.

Accutane is not a miracle drug. It is a temporary fix to a disease that can only be controlled naturally. It took me 12 years to learn that what you put into your body and how your overall health is, is what either causes or cures acne. Not some harmful drug that a doctor claims will cure you. I highly suggest going the natural route to clear acne for GOOD like I did. I have more information available at my blog. Take control of your health today.

My name is Chase Michaels, and I suffered with acne for 12 long years (this includes blackheads and MASSIVE cystic acne on my back, neck, and chest). My goal is to help people like me that have suffered with acne and have tried seemingly everything with little or no luck. Please check out my blog for information on how I finally got clear after 12 painful years.

http://acnecurereview.blogspot.com

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Chase_Michaels

Health News:

Why High Blood Pressure is Called the Silent Killer
High blood pressure (hypertension) is often referred to as the silent killer.  You can have it for years and never know it as there are no signs or symptoms. ...

0 comments: